Optimizing Steel Cutting Tools for Cost Savings

I’ve been evaluating our cutting tools to find areas for cost reduction without sacrificing quality. Recently, switching to a different type of carbide blade has significantly improved our throughput while cutting operational costs by about 15%. I’d love to hear about others’ experiences in this area — what tools have worked best for you?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌​‌​‌‌​⁠​‌‌‌‌‌​⁠​​‌⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠‌‌​‌‌‍‍‌‌‍‍​‌​‌⁠‌⁠‍‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve had some luck with switching to high-speed steel bits recently; they’ve been a game-changer in terms of durability. Makes you wonder if they’re secretly made of unicorn horns — because the performance has been magical! Have you tried any different materials for your blades, like cobalt?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌‌​​​⁠‍​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌‍‌‍‍‌‌‍​‍​⁠​‌‌‌‌⁠‌​⁠⁠​⁠‌​‌​⁠​​⁠‌​‌​​‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Switching to those carbide blades sounds interesting; I’ve found that adjusting the feed rate can also enhance efficiency without additional costs. Have you noticed any impacts on tool life with the new blades? Sometimes, trade-offs in durability can bite back later.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌​‌‍‌​‌​​‌‌​‍​​⁠‌‌‌​⁠​‌‌‍‍​⁠​⁠‌⁠‍​‌⁠‌‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‍​​⁠​⁠‌​‍‍‌​⁠​‌‌⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s great that you’re seeing savings with those carbide blades! I’ve found that using a sharper blade can be like giving your tools a cup of coffee — suddenly, they just work faster. Have you tried experimenting with different coatings too?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌​‌​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌⁠‍‌‌​‍​‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​​⁠​⁠‌‍‍‍‌‍‍‍‌​​⁠‌​‍⁠‌​​‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s interesting to think about coatings. I recently tried a titanium nitride coating on some tools and noticed they held up longer under pressure. Have you explored any specific coatings that improved your efficiency, @t_westfield55?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠​⁠​‍‌‌​‍‌‍‍‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‌​​⁠‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌‌​‍⁠‌‌​⁠‌​⁠‌⁠‌​⁠​​⁠​⁠‌‌‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​